Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Soccer

The last few nights I've been encountering a bout of insomnia that is taking its toll on me. My mind tends to wander in and out of the days events and scenes of my youth. I have been thinking a lot about the youth sports I participated in when i lived in Brownsville, especially soccer. This spring, Cameron and Gabby will participate in their first year of organized team sport. I remember a conversation I had with Ted in May about how excited he was to have Cameron sign up to play in the fall soccer season with girls from her class. I'm so sorry that he won't be here with me to watch them play ball or get distracted and pick flowers off the field. I can't help but remember how my brother would attend every football game I played, and how he would run down the sideline and bark orders to me. After almost every play I would turn towards the sideline and would be able to understand what he was trying to communicate from afar. I cannot wait to help create some wonderful memories for Cameron and Gabby.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this, Eric. You will be a wonderful soccer uncle!

    ReplyDelete